Sunday, June 1, 2014

Rolling Pin Vase

by The Woodworker

For years I have been trying to figure out what to do with old rolling pins. They are available by the score in almost every antique/consignment store. A while ago it occurred to me that maybe they would make good cookie cutters after being cut down and turned on my lathe. I tried turning cookie cutters and it worked. Then today a new idea hit me. How about making them into vases? Here is a chronicle of what happened. What do you think?
1. Start with an antique rolling pin purchased for $6.00 in local consignment store.
 

2. Remove handles and cut in half. Save handles for unknown future projects.
 

3. Rolling pin half firmly chucked up in my lathe.
 

4. Vase shape roughed out and prepared to have inside hollowed out.
 

5. Inside being hollowed out. The lathe is actually turning here before the drill bit is inserted into the rolling pin.

6. Hollowed out and final shaping complete. Rough sanding completed.
 

7. Decorative bands added and final sanding.
 
 

8. Wax and oil finish being added.
 

9. Completed vase.
 

The next problem is figuring out if I should give it away or try to sell it. If I give it away who should I give it to? If I sell it what should I ask for it?

No comments: