Friday, August 20, 2010

Peach Tree

This has been a strange weather year. June was cold and rainy, with even a few late frosts. That really bodes ill for fruit. Indeed, I've heard several folks say their fruit got frozen when blooming this year. That is why our little peach tree is so odd. It must have bloomed at just the right moment. Ever since the blossoms turned into little peaches, I've been thinning and thinning the tree...and still it is overloaded. Every day I go out and take more off the tree. In addition, when pruning in the Spring, we didn't get enough branches off the tree. Now, the peaches are just starting to get bigger and showing some color. It's hard to see all the peaches still on the tree, but on the ground you can see some of the fruit I pulled off today. Now if it will just ripen before it frosts, maybe we'll have some peaches to eat.

peachtree.jpg picture by nali49

1 comment:

Hatch said...

This makes me miss Grandma Freeman's Peach trees she had when I was a kid.