Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Warm Meal for a Cold Day

In my cleaning and sorting recently, I found a recipe I saved from many years ago. It is the perfect warm, hearty meal for a cold winter day. It is a recipe that uses wheat that doesn't have to be ground even. First I took 3 cups of wheat from our food storage.

IMG_5068.jpg picture by nali49

I soaked it in water overnight.

IMG_5069.jpg picture by nali49

I added it to the crockpot with the other ingredients and let it simmer during the day.

IMG_5070.jpg picture by nali49

We had delicious hearty wheat chili for our dinner tonight.

IMG_5071.jpg picture by nali49

Wheat Chili

3 c. wheat
2 large cans tomato sauce
2 large cans tomatoes
1/2 diced green pepper
1 diced medium onion
2 t. Worcestershire Sauce
1-2 T. chili powder
1-2 lbs. browned hamburger

Simmer 2-4 hours on stove or cook in crockpot.

You can add other ingredients to taste, such as:
garlic
thyme
oregano
italian seasonin
cayenne pepper

No comments: