Saturday, August 21, 2010

I love the garden....

I always enjoy the time of the year when the garden begins to produce. It seems like harvest is late in coming this year. I blame the cold, wet June we had. Our apricot tree is a late-blooming variety anyway, but this year it has seemed like they would never get ripe. The last few days, the wind has blown quite a bit, resulting in several apricots on the ground when we get up in the morning. So far it has been the less than perfect ones that have fallen, but today just bumping into the tree while mowing the lawn caused some to fall, so we decided we'd pick the ripest ones at least. If you look closely, you can see that some are still on the tree. We'll try to get those on Monday.

IMG_5670.jpg picture by nali49

These were worth waiting for!

IMG_5669.jpg

As long as I was out in the yard, I checked the garden as well to see what was ready. When I brought my haul into the house, I decided I could make a pretty good dinner out of some of it. I mixed strips of round steak, with onions, zucchini, tomatoes and peppers from the garden. It was really tasty over rice, and best of all, I have enough left over for 3 meals to put in the freezer for a busy day.

IMG_5671.jpg

No comments: