Thursday, November 19, 2009

Yikes!

Last evening I noticed that the pin in my foot was suddenly sticking out about half an inch further than it was before and it was more painful and awkward to walk, mostly because the ball on the top of the pin kept tapping on things. I called the doctor to see what he wanted me to do. Since I was supposed to get the pin taken out next Monday anyhow, he advised me to meet him at his office at 8:40 this morning and he'd just pull the pin. I offered to pull it myself, as I remembered the other four little pins really hadn't hurt when he pulled them out, but he declined and said he'd rather pull it himself. I mean, the thing was already poking out an inch, and I figured it had to be about 2 inches long, so it was already half out, right? By this morning it was uncomfortable to walk, even with the cane, so I had plenty of incentive to get to the clinic bright and early. When he touched the pin, it wiggled just a little and sent a jolt of 'mild discomfort' through my foot, so he backed off and then had me sort of recline in his chair. Then he carefully held the end of the pin with his little pliers and just as I felt somewhat relaxed....he yanked it out! YIKES! Roger came up out of his chair, too, to ask if I was all right. At least it was done and probably better that way than slowly if the truth be told. There is no way I could have pulled out that pin. It was 4 inches long!

Now that it is out and we are back home, I am liking life much better and able to walk around just fine without the cane anymore. Looking forward to being able to wear regular shoes again1

IMG_4770-1.jpg picture by nali49