Monday, November 2, 2009

Star of Wonder...a project no longer half finished

When we were in Sissonville, West Virginia, back in 2007, the ladies there started a Christmas project intended to show how to do simple machine quilting. To do this, we were each given a panel called 'Star of Wonder' by Nancy Halvorsen. We were instructed on how to quilt it by following the straight lines around each section of the panel. I did not have my sewing machine with me there, so at first I just watched. Then one of the ladies said she thought it would be pretty if it was embroidered first. Well...that I could do! Not only could I do it, but I thought it would be a great project for some of the long trips we had to make to various other parts of West Virginia and Virginia. The first 2 pictures show a bit of the detail of the embroidery work, although it is hard to make out I think. Every word is stitched, every feature is outlined, and many features such as hair, beards, rooftops and blankets on the camels are filled in.

IMG_4751.jpg picture by nali49



IMG_4752.jpg picture by nali49

IMG_4750.jpg picture by nali49

IMG_4749.jpg picture by nali49

IMG_4748.jpg picture by nali49

When we returned home in November 2008, the embroidery work was all complete. Sadly my sewing machine, after many years of use, refused to go on any longer. Shortly after Christmas, for my birthday, I got a new sewing machine. My first project was to 'quilt' it by sewing around each picture in the panel. Then I bound the edges. That is as far as I got. Now since I am forced to sit in the recliner while my foot heals, I used the opportunity to fix the back of the panel so I can slide it onto a dowel to hang for Christmas this year.

IMG_4747.jpg picture by nali49


No comments: