Thursday, January 14, 2010

Another Birthday


Roma says, "The weather in Kansas 61 years ago was cold and we had had a sleet storm the night before and kids were ice skating on the grass in the park across the street because the sleet was so thick. I could look down on them from the window in our apartment."

She continues, "My friend, Moira, had a car, so as soon as she got her little boy off to school, she came over and took me to the hospital. I had to stay in the hospital 10 days as was customary at that time. Since we lived in an upstairs apartment and we had no car, the ambulance had to take me home so they could carry me up the steps. Stairs were forbidden for 6 weeks after a birth, which meant staying home for 6 weeks. Nancy was one week early. At Christmas we had a little pink rubber duck under the tree for the new baby when it came. About 8 weeks after she was born we found another little apartment---a little house with kitchen, living room and bedroom.
"
nancy6w3.jpg picture by nali49

1 comment: