Thursday, February 24, 2011

Camp Pendleton-Las Flores

by the Woodworker

On our recent trip to California we happened to be passing Camp Pendleton, where I was stationed in 1969 with a USMC tank battalion. I just couldn't resist stopping in to see if anything had changed in the last 42 years. They had somewhat. Many more buildings were on the compound of Las Flores and many had been replaced. Here is a trip through memory lane where I walked as a tough 22 year old Marine.



Here is the modern compound of Las Flores.



Here I am in 1969. A little leaner and a little meaner than today. This was shortly before deploying to Vietnam.



During infantry training we had to climb these hills. Perhaps this doesn't sound too bad but we were wearing boots, helmets, field packs and carrying weapons. Probably between 60 and 80 lbs. There was no stopping to rest until the summit was reached. Apparently the Marines are still using these hills for the toughening up process. I wonder if I could do it today. Actually I don't wonder enough to try it.



Still more trails that we used to hike over. Some things never change.



No tanks are currently at Las Flores, however the tank trails still pass by. Tank trails are unbelievably dusty when you are hiking on them. The dust and sweat mixed together make a nice mud coating on your body. Sometimes only two wet eye sockets could be seen. Whew. It was a great way to earn $135 a month.





I lived in these barracks. It appears they are going to tear them down.



I lived on the upper floor just to the left of the stairwell.



With a little help from a friend I taught myself how to swim in this pool.



The old tank park. The picture of me with the tank at the beginning of this blog was taken here.
It was quite an experience to serve here in 1969 but once is enough. My memories suffice today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed your pics of 1st Tank Bn. I was stationed there in 1980. We often wondered about the Marines that had occupied our barracks in the years before we arrived and if their experiences were similar to our own, many good ones and the sad ones too.

Unknown said...

I was stationed at Los Flores as part of "TOW company" in 1979-80. I cannot remember the actual unit name. I thought it was 1st Mar Div, 3rd Tank Battalion, but I can find no info on the unit. What was your unit in 1969?