Changes are coming to the living history farm! For years, the 1917 farm site has been divided from the pioneer site by a ravine, which means either we must go down a hill and cross a bridge then go back up the hill to get to the other sites, or we must take the long way around. The amount of walking between some of the sites has been daunting to some of our visitors.
For a couple of years now plans have been in the works to build a larger bridge that will allow our visitors to visit the site in chronological order. From the back door of the welcome center, visitors can visit the Shoshone Indian site, the mountain man site, the pioneer site and then finish up with the woodwright shop, the millinery shop and the 1917 farm.
When we visited the pioneer site just a few short weeks ago, only the concrete base for the bridge down in the bottom of the ravine was visible. Now the wooden bridge sections are awaiting a crane to put them into place. They are hoping it is in place by Baby Animal Days which are coming up in just a couple of weeks.
Here you can see 2 of the 3 bridge sections we saw out there today.
Here is one of the previously pictures sections with the welcome center in the background.
Here you can see the ravine where the bridge is to cross. One section of the bridge is visible on the other side of the ravine by the welcome center.
In other improvements, there has been a partially finished cabin on the site for several years. It was in the way of the proposed bridge, so they decided to move it and finish it so they can use it this year. Not too bad with the snowy mountains in the background.
While we were there visiting today we also spent some time cleaning up the woodwright shop so it will be ready for visitors.